Employability for children living under the juvenile justice system
Ensure children living under the juvenile justice system get access to education and job opportunities is critical for them to break away from an unhealthy environment and become productive members of society.
Ensure children living under the juvenile justice system complete secondary education and are equipped with employable skills.
United Way Chennai works with two government run homes for children living under the juvenile justice system to ensure they pursue their education and are provided with water and sanitation facilites
- The children are provided education and equiped with employable skills (a vocational training unit has been set up, for instance girls have been trained through a sanitary napkin making unit.)
- RO plants have been installed to provide safe drinking water.
- We have also employed a sports instructor who visits the homes every week to train the children in various sports like Cricket, football, etc. Sports kits have also been distributed.
- Psychological counselling is also provided to the students (individual and group sessions) with the support of qualified counsellors
- As a part of their field work, interns from leading colleges work with the children in these juvenile homes and meet them on a regular basis to understand and alleviate their concerns
Nearly 650 juvenile children are part of this programme.
In 2014, 93% of girls and 100% of boys benefitting from the programme successfuly passed their teinth standards board examinations.
SPONSORS AND PARTNERS
- CSR partner : HCL Foundation