What is a United Way Organization?
- A volunteer-led, non-profit organization
- Located in a specific geographic community (For eg. United Way of Chennai will cater to the social needs of Tamilnadu)
- That seeks and addresses the root causes of key issues, is accountable for stewardship of resources, is accountable for short-term & long-term results with reasonable impact
- Has a corporate leadership and acquaintances
What is United Way Worldwide?
It commits to:
- Help United Ways across the world to become more effective in their work (Capacity Building)
- Ensure that our global network is accountable and trustworthy
- Help local founding groups to grow with the global United Way network
- Help donors with international interests practice intelligent philanthropy
It is a lean effective organization
- Governed by a 20-25 person board representing 7-10 countries
- Run by 20-25 people, speaking 10 languages
- Working with a $2-3 million operating budget
What is the global legacy of United Way today?
- United Way has a 100 year history of improving lives
- Volunteers and partners work in 47 countries
- 3,000+ local United Ways in the world
- Raises $5+ billion, from 17 million donors annually
- $900 million is raised from outside the US
- Best practices are shared across the globe
- Priorities are based on local requirements
What sets United Way apart?
- Volunteers at the heart of United Way Movement
- Network is international; decisions and actions are local
- Dedicated to long-term, systemic improvement
- Achieve objectives through a process-driven approach
- Transparency and accountability in all we do
- Involve all sections of the community
- Build capacity of recipient partners
- Not more than 10% of donations used for Organization overheads
What is the history and future road-map of United Way in India?
- United Way of Baroda set up in 1986
- United Way of Mumbai set up in 2002
- United Way of Bengaluru first to be set up in 2008
- United Way of Delhi and of Hubli-Dharwad also set up in 2008
- United Way of Chennai set up in 2010
- United Way of Kolkata set up in 2011
- 7 new Chapters planned in the next 2 years
- A pan-India presence planned
What is the current status of United Way of Chennai?
- Registered on 12th of January 2010
- Distinguished Board, with the most high techs of the Chennai region
- Committed to a variety of community initiatives in :
- Set-up costs for 3 years covered through a generous grant
What are the United Way of Chennai Programs?
- Born Learning Campaign: Aimed at making children in the age group of 0-6 years school ready
- Holistic School Development: Providing accessible infrastructure, health and sanitation facilities to the school along with imparting life skills to the students
- Waterbody Rejuvenation: Collaborating with corporate companies and local bodies to carry out lake rejuvenation and tree plantation programmes
- Community Water Plant Set-Up: Install safe drinking water plants within communities, thus reducing their dependence on packaged drinking water
- Disability projects: Projects focussing on early detection of childhood disability, employability of people with disabilities, parasports, accessibility and providing quality assistive devices.